Strategic Staffing Solutions
Accounting Research & Policy, Manager
Location: St Louis, MO
Direct hire position W2 ONLY
The Accounting Research & Policy, Manager is responsible for determining the appropriate accounting treatment for significant, unusual, or complex transactions, leading the implementation of new accounting guidance, and establishing and maintaining accounting policy documentation. The Accounting Research & Policy, Manager is responsible for summarizing technical accounting topics for senior level accounting leadership, including the SVP/Chief Accounting Officer and VP/Controller, as well as various senior business and finance leaders from across the company.
Key responsibilities include:
- Ensure accuracy of accounting and reporting by developing position papers documenting the accounting implications of significant, unusual, or complex transactions.
- Draft, review, and maintain accounting policy documentation explaining accounting policy elections and judgmental accounting positions.
- Review draft contracts and tariff filings to identify potential accounting issues and provide suggestions for improving business outcomes.
- Provide accounting research and guidance as needed in response to requests from functional accounting areas and operational personnel.
- Help to determine the reporting impact of accounting and financial changes and direct steps necessary to correct or reflect adjustments to ensure accurate reporting.
- Convey complex technical matters in a clear and concise manner, adapted to the needs of technical and non-technical clients.
- Monitor the activities of accounting standard setting agencies and lead the implementation of new accounting guidance.
- Prepare and review select elements of the financial statements, footnotes, or regulatory filings.
- Interact with external auditors during year-end audits, quarterly reviews, and technical accounting research.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business, Finance, Economics, or a related field from an accredited university required.
- CPA required. Five or more years of relevant professional experience (e.g., accounting, auditing, or financial reporting) required.
- Previous experience working in/with a U.S. public company strongly preferred. SEC or FERC reporting experience preferred.
- Big 4 experience in audit or accounting advisory preferred.
- Utility industry accounting background with practical knowledge in the application of ASC 980 preferred.
In addition to the above qualifications, the successful candidate will also demonstrate:
- Strong interpersonal skills; able to interact with all organizational levels. Strong analytical and critical thinking skills. Excellent communication and presentation skills, both verbal and written.
- Experience developing efficient and effective solutions to diverse and complex business problems. The ability to set, measure and consistently achieve goals within established timelines while balancing multiple priorities. Self-motivation and the ability to work independently with limited supervision
Job ID: JOB-226412:
Publish Date: 23 May 2023